(Image courtesy of the Corwin Lab)
Thank you for applying to the Neuroscience Graduate Program (NGP)!
The requirements for admission to the NGP Ph.D. program are rigorous. UVA's NGP recruits a competitive group of students that will become future scientific leaders in the field of neuroscience in academia, industry, and other areas.
Following are the requirements for application:
- Completion of a Bachelor's degree at a reputable undergraduate institution with a minimum GPA of 3.0 or better.
- We require the general GRE test. Test scores should be within 5 years of the application date. (We do not require the subject GRE test.)
- Strong weight is given to the student's grade point average and GRE scores.
- Research experience carries signficant weight and the most important criterion for admission is the student's committment to research and passion for neuroscience.
- We require at least three letters of recommendation. It is strongly encouraged to have at least one of those letters be from research advisors.
- This is a Ph.D. Program. Students wishing to obtain a Master's Degree should not apply.
- The optimal background of entering students would include courses in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Psychology, and Mathematics but there are no specific requirements.
- Students accepted into the program receive stipend and healthcare support as well as tuition and fee waivers for the duration of their graduate education as long as they remain in good academic standing.
- International students are expected to have an outstanding command of the English language. Applicants must understand that biomedical sciences courses are conducted in English and all exams and papers must be submitted in English.
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL):
- A total score of at least 600 on the PBT [paper-based test] TOEFL, 250 on the CBT [computer-based test] TOEFL - A score may not be more than two years old.
- The University expects individuals who take the new iBT TOEFL to earn a score of at least 22 in writing, 22 in speaking, 23 in reading, and 23 in listening (total score: 90).
International English Language Testing System (IELTS) exam:
- A score of at least 7.0 on the IELTS - A score may not be more than two years old. If your TOEFL scores is lower than these minimums, you may still be accepted as a student but may be required to take both speaking and writing courses.